- UK (London)
- Vacancy Type
- Full Time
- Job Advert Description
Reporting to the Transactions Manager, you will be responsible for the purchase ledger which will include managing the invoice process, including making bank payments to UK and international suppliers. This includes reconciling supplier statements on a monthly basis. Furthermore, will also be responsible for credit card postings and reconciliation. In addition, you will be responsible for maintaining the petty cash, processing invoices, expenses receipts and advances.
The Finance Officer is a key member of the London based global Finance team providing services to support the business in the UK and in our overseas offices working in line with best practices.
This vital role will also offer assistance to meet the transactional reporting and reconciliation requirements of this growing charity.
The right candidate will have a proven track record of utilising Office software and financial systems. They will be highly organised and comfortable working on numerous concurrent tasks with a high attention to detail.
The role requires someone who has previous experience of working in a finance setting and with a networked accounting system. As a solid communicator, they will be capable of engaging and communicating at all levels within the organisation to ensure success in the Finance function.
Due to our rapid growth, in the next 12 months Girl Effect will be centralising all Accounts Payable transactions as part of a wider Finance Transformation Programme and this role will play a key role in assisting this process forward.
The role will be based in London, with opportunities for travel to country offices or other locations.
Accounts Payable and Receivable
- Receive and check all supplier invoices against bespoke contract management system to ensure supplier invoices are in accordance to pricing agreements and flag any discrepancies with managers and suppliers.
- To process all invoices into the finance systems for payment in accordance with agreed timescales and that invoices are coded correctly. Ensure invoices are authorised per delegated powers.
- Ensure the Accounts Payable account is reconciled to the balance sheet and maintained correctly
- Receiving, checking and processing employee, director and external customer expenses and ensuring they are in line with the Company’s expenses policy i.e. that all relevant documentation is provided with expenses
- To liaise with and resolve internal and external queries in a timely and well communicated manner with suppliers, contractor and other third parties in a highly proactive manner.
- Monthly preparation of top 10 supplier statement reconciliations and resolution of any queries that arise as a result of the reconciliation including chasing missing invoices and credit notes.
- Monthly review of Trade Payables Reports and investigation and resolution of long standing credit/debit balances and problematic transactions.
- Carrying out a daily synchronisation between the contract management system, Salesforce and the finance system, Financial Force and resolving any errors in time for the weekly payment run.
- Coordinate and prepare the weekly payment run across locations: UK, Nigeria and Rwanda and process weekly payments. This involves manual bank to bank payments where relevant.
- Maintaining and updating all suppliers on the Purchase Ledger, carrying out monthly investigations for payment errors and or supplier set-up errors.
- To be responsible for making all other payments due from the Company in line with established financial procedures.
- Management of the Finance Queries mailbox and handling of vendor and staff queries in a timely and professional manner.
- Preparing and posting journals where required.
- As new income streams are created, carry out delivering an effective Accounts Receivable function with appropriate policies and processes for revenue recognition.
- Responsible for reconciliation and processing of corporate credit cards ensuring that digital bank statements are received from the bank and sent to card holders, receipts and statements are provided in line with the monthly timescales and that all the paperwork has been signed off in accordance to the policy.
- Responsible for reconciliation and processing of GILES corporate travel account ensuring that digital statements are received from the supplier, verified along with receipts and codes to be uploaded into the finance system.
- Manage the petty cash process on a daily basis ensuring that cash discrepancies are investigated and resolved and petty cash control account is reconciled.
- Ensure petty cash is topped up and an operational balance held.
- Maintenance of filing system, ongoing filing and general office administration including scanning, answering telephones calls, photocopying, compiling and responding to emails, faxing and archiving.
- Retrieving and photocopying copy invoices to be included in the payment run carried out by the Group Finance Supervisor as and when required under time a tight timeframe.
- Providing Finance onboarding training to all new starters where applicable.
- To ensure audit compliance and take on a proactive approach to fully understand general ledger/accounting processes and coding invoices in the Financial Force. This involves resolving any identified errors in coding and notifying all relevant parties with an aim to minimise the number of errors occurring across the business.
- Respond to emails and telephone enquiries with suppliers.
- Filing invoices, statements and customer receipts.
- Assisting the Finance team on any ad hoc reports and analysis
- Assisting the Finance Team with month end activities
- Other duties that are deemed necessary to support the business as and when required.
Personal Competencies and Qualifications
- Previous experience within Accounts Payable and wider transactions.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel and Word skills.
- The business is fast growing and like any SME, you need to be a team player with the drive and passion to support Senior Management in this exciting time of the company’s lifecycle.
- Self-motivated and practical, with a `can-do` attitude which an ability to ‘set up from scratch’ with minimal guidance.
- Ability to demonstrate excellent organisation skills and to meet tight month end and weekly deadlines.
- Able to break down a process and describe the tasks involved and their relationship to each other.
- Able to write a comprehensive list of system procedures or instructions for use by non-finance staff.
- Can deliver to deadline and fully understands the impact of their role on others
- Continuously looks for ways to improve processes / drive efficiency
- Have a hands-on attitude and good work ethic.
- Strives to provide exceptional levels of customer service.
- Confident and influential team player.
- Structured and systematic thinker.
- Communicate well verbally and in writing
- Collaborative worker
- Ability to recognise and adapt to changing priorities.
- Studying toward professional qualification or at least AAT qualified.
- A background in International Development.
- Knowledge of Financial Force/Salesforce.
- Experience of working within a shared service centre and interacting with other locations.
- Experience and understanding of Procure to Pay as part of a Finance Transformation projects.
- Able to reconcile balance sheet accounts including vendor accounts.
- An understanding of double entry bookkeeping.
- Understanding of the accruals concept.
- An understanding of the impact of entries on income and expenditure account and the balance sheet.
- A working knowledge of Charities SORP FRS102
- Experience in cash book posting and Bank reconciliations in both home and foreign currencies.
- Experience in preparing a fixed asset register.
- Experience of Inter-company and Inter branch reconciliations.
Other Key Attributes:
- Focuses on the customer experience.
- Has a desire to achieve.
- Solution driven.
- Attention to detail.
- Adaptable – able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments.
- Ability to work with multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds.
Salary package and benefits:
Competitive salary and pension scheme will be offered to the successful candidate.
- Closing Date