Internal Communications Intern
- UK (London)
- Marketing, Brand and Digital, Entry Level positions
- Salary & Benefits
- London Living Wage - £19,012.50 per year
- Vacancy Type
- Job Advert Description
If you're a recent graduate looking to kick-start a career in communications or marketing, then this 6 month internship would be a fantastic opportunity!
Internal Communications is a and fast-growing profession - the crossroads between Marketing, Communications, and People (HR). You take Marketing’s deep audience insight, combine it with Communications’ creative flair, add a big dollop of People and Culture, and you get Internal Communications: sitting at the heart of a business, and providing the circuitry it needs to achieve its objectives.
It’s a fantastic place to begin a career, because you’ll get an insight into the work of teams across the whole organisation as you build a wide range of relationships with a diverse set of colleagues. Next, you might move into a more senior internal communications role, across into external-facing communications, or something else entirely - the organisational, interpersonal, and creative skills you learn will serve you well in the role you move on to after your time at Girl Effect.
Who are we looking for?
You’re a dynamic, enterprising and enthusiastic person who’s endlessly fascinated by what makes people tick. It goes without saying that you have outstanding written and spoken communication skills: articulate on and off the page (and with near-faultless spelling and grammar), you have a unique voice that can tell a compelling story. You’re persuasive and a good influencer, but understand the power of listening, too. You’re well-organised and love a good plan. You’re also digitally savvy and have an eye for what looks good - be that a photo, a web page, gif or video - as well as what might change the game, grab people’s attention, and keep things fresh.
What you can expect:
Your main project will be helping create a best-in-class intranet (internal-facing internet site) - so an interest in digital, as well as strong attention to detail, will help you succeed in the content management aspect of this role. Any experience working with Wordpress websites is a real bonus, but by no means essential.
During your time with us, you’ll also:
- Feed into and help coordinate the internal communications planning grid
- Run our series of ‘Huddles’ - face-to-face internal updates on key projects
- Help keep the intranet up-to-date with regular announcements, reminders and news articles
- Develop a programme for display communications (posters, blackboards and table-tops) to support and supplement core internal communications campaigns
- Help run internal events like the Girl Effect Summer Party and a ‘brown bag’ lunch scheme with our Senior Leadership Team
So what’s in it for you? As part of this role, you’ll get to:
- Grow your communications skills in the context of a mission-led business, which is using the power of brand and media to make a meaningful difference to the lives of adolescent girls in the global south.
- Work on a business-critical project - improving our intranet offering - building digital project and product management skills.
- Develop skills in key areas that are critical to any role, including building relationships; planning and organising; influencing and multitasking.
This a full time opportunity. We offer London Living wage (£9.75 per hour) which equates to an annual salary of £19,012.50 for 37.5 hours per week. The salary will be pro-rated for 6 months to £9,506.25.
- Closing Date