Independent Safeguarding Advisor (Lilongwe, Malawi)
- Salary & Benefits
- Daily rate of 50,000MK
- Vacancy Type
- Job Advert Description
This is a consultancy contract for an initial duration of 6 months (with possible extension based on performance). The role will be on a part time basis of 8 days per month, depending on demand.
The Consultant will be paid a daily fee of 50,000MK.
Start Date: October 2017
Context of the Role:
We're actively looking for an Independent Safeguarding Advisor to support the implementation of Girl Effect’s Safeguarding policy and procedures in Malawi and ensure an effective and timely response to children who are at risk. By providing expert advice, capacity building and support to Girl Effect staff and partners, this role will enable the team to proactively identify and mitigate risks and ensure that safety measures are built in from design through to delivery of the Zathu brand.
Zathu is a mass media based intervention which aims to increase the perceived value of girls as well as improving girl’s agency and encouraging social connections. Through our content, Zathu also seeks to change challenge stigma and change behaviours around issues such as HIV, sexual and reproductive health and young mothers returning to school.
We are particularly interested in applications from candidates who are available to complete the Child Protection Mapping Consultancy position before starting this role.
1) Implementation of the Safeguarding policy and procedures:
- Conduct an assessment of current safeguarding practice against the Girl Effect Malawi Safeguarding Policy to identify gaps and areas for further improvement and capacity building
- Work closely with the Safeguarding Officer and other staff across Girl Effect Malawi to implement and strengthen all safeguarding procedures and overall practice
- In collaboration with the Safeguarding Officer, deliver a programme of capacity building for staff which is tailored to their specific area of work, including ensuring all new recruits receive a safeguarding induction within their first month of employment
- Ensure all implementing partners receive a detailed briefing on Girl Effect’s Minimum Safeguarding Requirements and ensure that a written Safeguarding Agreement is in place.
- Contribute to the design and development of new products and initiatives to ensure that risk identified and mitigated and that safeguarding measures are built in to all activities.
2) Oversee the reporting and response of safeguarding cases:
- Ensure that there are clear reporting and response procedures for all activities, events and initiatives related to Zathu and ensure these procedures understood and implemented by staff, partners, contractors, visitors and by children and young people themselves.
- Build relationships with key protection agencies and networks to ensure that safeguarding cases can be referred quickly and effectively
- Provide advice to staff and partners whenever safeguarding concerns arise and ensure that appropriate actions are taken in the best interest of the child
- Monitor and document the outcomes of safeguarding cases
- Analyse the types of cases received and the response provided on a regular basis to inform organisational learning and improve safeguarding practice
- Keep up to date with trends and developments in the field of child protection and safeguarding and disseminate key learning from policy, practice and research to the wider team
- Participate in the Global Safeguarding Task Force and other practice development forums arranged by Girl Effect
- University degree in social work, social sciences or related discipline. Masters degree will be an advantage
- Minimum of 5 years technical and practical knowledge and experience on child and young people’s safeguarding.
- Experience in developing and implementing organizational child protection or safeguarding policies and procedures
- Skilled in designing, facilitating and evaluating training in different organisational contexts.
- Experience in safeguarding on online (e.g. on mobile and social networks) is desirable
- Proactive and influence positive change across the organisation.
- Able to manage sensitive issues and maintain the highest levels of confidentiality
- Strong inter-personal skills with an ability to work across departments
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to be flexible within a fast paced, changing environment
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect
Candidates who are also applying for the Child Protection Mapping Consultancy may submit a joint application letter but should clearly state their interest in both consultancy opportunities.
Please ensure applications include details of:
- Two professional referees (of whom one must be your most recent employer)
- Closing Date