Child Protection Mapping Consultant (Malawi)
- Vacancy Type
- Job Advert Description
We're looking for a Consultant to provide a detailed overview of child protection and youth friendly health services and related policy and legislation in Malawi.
Contract: 10 days with submission of final report by 15th October 2017
- Provide a detailed overview of child protection and youth friendly health services and related policy and legislation in Malawi
- Identify a number of vetted, high quality services that Girl Effect can use for signposting children & young people in need of protection or health services
- We are particularly interested in applications from candidates with subsequent availability to work with us as an Independent Safeguarding Advisor Consultant - providing advisory support to Girl Effect for up to 8 days a month - with a specific focus on mainstreaming child protection across the organisation. Please click here for further details about this opportunity.
Please note that applications from consultancy agencies will not be considered.
- Desk review of relevant legislation, research, reports and statistical data
- Key informant interviews with statutory agencies & key NGO providers
- What are the definitions of abuse set out in national law?
- What are the penalties for the different forms of abuse & how strictly are they enforced?
- What are the main government policies and initiatives in relation to child protection & health?
- Is there any legislation in place related to digital safety or data protection?
Government Service Provision:
- What government services exists for child protection (welfare services; police; health; other)? How child-friendly and effective are they (accessibility; cost; effectiveness of response)?
- What youth friendly health services are provided by the government? How child-friendly & effective are they (accessibility; cost; effectiveness of response)?
- What barriers exist that prevent children & youth from accessing these services (costs; cultural norms; attitudes to reporting; stigma; reprisal)?
Other Service Provision:
- Who are the leading non-governmental agencies providing child protection services across Malawi? What are is their geographical reach, thematic focus areas and level of service provision?
- Who are the leading non-governmental agencies providing youth-friendly health services across Malawi? What are is their geographical reach, thematic focus areas and level of service provision?
- What are the main informal, community based protection mechanism? How effective and reliable are they?
- Based on service quality, accessibility and geographical reach, recommendations of preferred agencies for signposting or referrals regarding both child protection and health
- Proposed methodology and work plan for review by Girl Effect
- Inception meeting with Girl Effect
- Draft report for Girl Effect review and feedback. The report shall present the methodology, main findings and directory of reviewed services
- Final Submission:
- Final report (maximum 20 pages) including a 2-page executive summary
- A summary brief (in PowerPoint) containing key findings
- University degree in social work, social sciences or related discipline. Masters degree will be an advantage
- Significant work experience in child protection, health or related services
- Previous experience in research, child protection mapping or evaluation of protection and/or health services for children and youth
- Desirable - Experience in safeguarding on online (e.g. on mobile and social networks)
- Must have significant experience working in Malawi
Candidates who are also applying for the Independent Safeguarding Advisor Consultancy may submit a joint application letter but should clearly state their interest in both consultancy opportunities.
Please ensure applications include details of:
- Two examples of similar approved work
- Two professional referees (of whom one must be your most recent employer)
- Proposed day rate
- Closing Date