Gender Insights Advisor (Kigali)
- Gender, Evidence and Insights
- Vacancy Type
- Job Advert Description
Our work in Rwanda is delivered through our youth, media platform Ni Nyampinga (a beautiful girl inside and out who makes wise decisions). Created by and for girls in 2011, Ni Nyampinga is Girl Effect’s most established brand and currently reaches 60% of Rwanda’s population with its quarterly magazine, weekly radio show, mobisite and other platforms.
We're looking for a Gender Insights Advisor to join our team in Kigali to help us better understand, deliver and be able to replicate globally the value and impact our media products and programmes are having on the lives of girls.
It's a challenging but deeply rewarding role and you'll be responsible for ensuring leading edge gender and behavioral change thinking, theory and practice is instilled into all Ni Nyampinga brand strategy and activities, in order to deliver maximum impact and value for girls. This is a highly technical and specialist role and provides opportunities to work with a skilled and diverse international team for an organization at the leading edge of its field, and shape approaches and thinking at an organizational and sector level.
This role will be accountable for ensuring that girls continue to sit at the heart of all work conducted at Girl Effect. A key deliverable will be the identification and shaping of behavioral change objectives (the change we are trying to create) and ensuring a gendered lens is applied to all strategic thinking and approaches.
Understand and identify the key needs, wants desires and challenges for girls in Rwanda and translate these into actionable and measurable change objectives that are embedded in all areas of NN activityfor branded media platforms, in line with the Girl Effect Theory of Change.
- Support the Qualitative and Quantitative Insight to shape primary research briefs and tools to ensure a gendered approach to our research and insight, contribute to the interpretation of the research and lead on the technical guidance on the gender implications for the all aspects of NN’s work (e.g. brand work, activities, research, evidence).
- Conduct primary, secondary research and/or literature reviews and disseminate information to the Insights and Strategy team to ensure the team are armed with the latest thinking and knowledge and identify ways to integrate insights into key strategic processes to shape NN’s approach and impact.
- Forge and maintain a network of in country sector specialists and represent Girl Effect at sector wide conferences and events in order to acquire insight and best practices learnings and showcase NN’s work.
- Lead on the creation, dissemination and implementation of behaviour change objectives with support from Snr. Managers Strategy and Insights (Rwanda) and Gender Director (Global).
- Oversee the relationship and communications between Girl Effect Rwanda, Girl Effect Global and external partnerships in relation to gender strategy and best practice.
- Conduct and commission gender insights and market/ partner/ service scoping research.
- Lead activities and processes related to creating opportunities for NN target audiences to promote meaningful interaction with NN products (e.g. on and offline connections).
Inform and advise on the strategy and development of new branded products and activities.
- Be responsible for ensuring Ni Nyampinga brand strategy and activities are built from and respond to robust external gender insights in audience and market needs in order to deliver maximum value and impact for girls.
- Conduct and be accountable for continual training and upskilling on latest gender and behavioural change practices, thinking and insights for all of Girl Effect Rwanda ensuring everything we do is approached from a girls-centred perspective.
- Budget responsibility, project delivery responsibility, gender team planning, ensuring alignment with global Gender strategy and plans.
Represent Girl Effect’s approach to behaviour change within the Global network and the Global Gender network within GER
- Be a key contributor to the Global Gender team sharing best practices from Ni Nyampinga work and in turn bring best practice from other brands into Ni Nyampinga’s work.
- Support and manage work streams to mainstream gender equality into organisational policy and practice (e.g. huddles, development and delivery of capacity building initiatives for staff)
- Represent Girl Effect and showcase our work to outside organisations and partners within the Gender sector
- Support Director, Gender (Global), Snr. Manager Strategy and Insight (Rwanda) and Deputy Director of Relationships and Partnerships (Rwanda) on the creation, communication and delivery of partnership and for profit research programmes and products.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum Masters Degree or equivalent in gender studies or social sciences related fields.
- Extensive proven experience in programmatic and gender related profession/ sector
- Experience in capacity building/training on gender issues
- Experience managing a team and delivering to external and internal stakeholders.
- Experience managing research agencies and suppliers.
- Excellent communication skills, relationship management and attention to detail.
- A collaborative team player;
- Culturally aware and respectful - curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate;
- Ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds;
- Adaptable - able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments;
- Resourceful, solution-seeker;
- Excellent critical analysis and thinking skills;
- Self-starter - confident and proactive in generating and leading new initiatives;
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude;
- Interest in working in developing countries;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
We offer a competitive salary, plus a whole host of other soft benefits including amazing offices, a great place to work, development opportunities, as well as the opportunity to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment with brilliant people!
- Closing Date