Managing Editor (Kigali)
- Editorial, Content and Production
- Vacancy Type
- Job Advert Description
Girl Effect are looking for a Managing Editor to join our team in Kigali, Rwanda. We are looking for someone with an exciting vision for how Ni Nyampinga can make innovative and engaging behaviour change content that draws strongly from Rwandan culture and tradition.
Challenging the way we’ve looked at content previously is important, as is an enthusiasm for storytelling to drive the production team to new heights of creative ingenuity. You'll need too have strong experience across the full range of Ni Nyampinga products – print, radio, AV and digital.
If you also have strong Kinyarwanda skills and the ability to play with the language to paint better pictures and strengthen the magic of all of our products, then get in touch!
This role covers the key responsibility for the creation of Ni Nyampinga editorial content and accountability for ensuring this content is on brand, high-quality and delivers against Ni Nyampinga’s behaviour change objectives. This role includes fostering creativity in the entire production team and infusing it through every aspect of our storytelling. Alongside skills in print and radio, you will also need to have experience in commissioning and/or producing video, in order to take Ni Nyampinga onto this brand new platform.
What you can expect to be involved in:
- A strong creative vision for all Ni Nyampinga content and ability to guide a team to incorporate the very best of storytelling into all aspects of content.
- Accountable for Kinyarwanda content for all Ni Nyampinga platforms, including the NN Sakwe Drama, magazine, radio and digital, ensuring brand tone, spirit and values and the highest level of quality in terms of entertainment and language
- Strong ideas and experience of media product integration and future planning for a multimedia youth brand.
- Experience of commissioning, producing and writing video content for digital platforms.
- The ability to work with the Head of Content and Production to develop and manage an editorial plan to shape Ni Nyampinga from start to end.
- Strong creative development skills to ensure editorial creative workshops, angles, reporting guidelines story ideas, audio, visual and story components are aligned.
- Contribute to and inform the development of the Ni Nyampinga content strategy/creative briefs alongside the Strategy and Insights team
- Connect and represent Ni Nyampinga with the very best of youth media across the region and world.
- Link Ni Nyampinga with the very best content creators in the country.
- Represent Ni Nyampinga as and when necessary to external partners.
- Act as a role model to the editorial team exemplifying best practise management and mentorship within an editorial environment
- Line manage the Assistant Editors to ensure the delivery of the Ni Nyampinga branded content (radio, magazine and digital).
- Support the Associate Editors in the line management of the Editorial support team
You'll need to have:
- Proven experience in media and content production
- Experience in producing and/or commissioning videos and films.
- Proven ability to foster creativity in young teams and brilliant storytelling abilities.
- Knowledge of media for social change and how to balance editorial, journalistic values with the need to shift attitudes and behaviors for girls.
- Proven experience as an Editor and Manager.
- The ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds
- An adaptable approach - able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments
- Excellent critical analysis and thinking skills
- A positive, energetic, can-do attitude
- An interest in working in developing countries
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
We offer a competitive salary, plus a whole host of other soft benefits including amazing offices, a great place to work, development opportunities, as well as the opportunity to work in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment with brilliant people
- Closing Date