Digital Engagement & Safeguarding Manager
- UK (London)
- Vacancy Type
- Fixed Term Contract
- Job Advert Description
We're looking for a Digital Engagement & Safeguarding Manager to join us on a 12 month contract basis and help us continue to ensure the highest standards of youth engagement and digital safety are maintained.
As an organisation, we aim to leverage the power of technology to reach more girls and have a greater impact on their lives. As our digital strategy continues to grow, this role will support the strengthening of safeguarding across the organisation and will work closely with other internal teams to ensure that safety is considered in the development and implementation of all digital products and innovations.
This is an exciting new position and will play a key role in helping us become a thought leader in the area of digital engagement and online safety.
Act as safeguarding focal point for digital products and platforms within the London Team (50%)
- Collaborate with product teams (Springster; TEGA; Girls Connect) to ensure that safeguarding is integrated in the design and delivery of digital engagement
- Support the development of new digital initiatives to ensure that safety is embedded in the design and development of new innovations
- Ensure that risk assessments are undertaken when designing new forms of digital engagement and that these are updated on a regular basis
- Ensure that clear reporting and response procedures are in place for each digital product and provide advice and support the product teams in responding to protection cases, ensuring that responses are timely and protect the best interests of the child
- Oversee the moderation of digital engagement and provide support to product teams monitor its effectiveness
- Ensure that confidential records are maintained of safeguarding concerns raised through digital channels and that appropriate follow-up is conducted
- Create spaces for learning from practice to ensure that experience informs development and innovation within our online safeguarding practice.
Contribute to the strengthening of safeguarding across Girl Effect by developing and implementing policies, procedures and capacity building that ensure the safe engagement across all digital products and platforms (20%)
- Lead the development of new policies and procedures aimed at the safe engagement of children, young people and other stakeholders through digital channels
- Support the work of the FinOps and Digital teams to ensure that Girl Effect has strong measures in place to ensure digital safety and data protection, including compliance with GDPR
- Develop and update guidance, training and other materials to support the safe engagement of children, young people and other stakeholders through digital channels
- Contribute to the annual review of GE’s safeguarding policy and procedures to ensure that safe digital engagement is integrated into all our work
- Deliver training and other learning opportunities for the GE to ensure that all staff are aware of the risks and protections required to ensure safe digital engagement
- Contribute to the annual safeguarding self-assessment to identify gaps in digital safety and develop strategies to address these gaps and reduce organisational risk
Train and support Country-level teams on safe digital engagement (20%)
- Ensure that country teams are fully aware of regulations and best practice in digital safety, privacy and security and the particular measures in force in each country of operation
- Provide mentoring and support to country level teams safe digital engagement of children and young people
- Offer capacity building and support to country level teams to deepen their understanding an awareness of digital safety, privacy and security
- Offer support to country level Safeguarding Officers to ensure that they have the knowledge and skills to integrate digital safety into their wider safeguarding role.
Ensure that Girl Effect’s work is informed by and contributes to best practice and innovations in the area of digital youth engagement (10%)
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of research, best practice and new innovations in the area of digital engagement and wider developments in the area of digital safety, privacy and security
- Provide resources and a range of learning opportunities to the Girl Effect team on new developments in the area of digital engagement and digital safety, privacy and security
- Collaborate with the Evidence Team to develop research and build new insights in the area of digital engagement and digital safety, privacy and security
- Participate in networks and knowledge sharing forums examining digital engagement and digital safety, privacy and security
- Proactively seek opportunities to share GE’s learning and innovations in the area of safeguarding, particularly in respect of digital safety, security and privacy
Essential Skills & Experience
- Knowledge and experience of child protection and safeguarding
- Technical and practical knowledge and experience of digital safety, security and privacy
- Experience in developing and implementing organizational safeguarding policies and procedures
- Experience supporting country officers/ partners in the Global South to implement safeguarding measures
- Experience of women or girl centred programming
- Experience identifying networks and building relationships with other agencies
- Strong inter-personal skills and awareness, particularly in cross cultural contexts
- Strong influencing skills with an ability to work across departments
- Good teamwork skills
- Ability to mentor and support staff remotely and apply global policies local contexts.
- Ability to manage conflict and handle sensitive issues
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to be flexible within a fast paced, changing environment
- Closing Date